Sim Family of Scotland History

 

Elgin, Duffus, Urquhart and Lossiemouth, Clydebank and
Glasgow, Scotla
nd

 

The first four of these towns or cities are in the north part of Scotland.  They are all close together.  Duffus and Urquhart as very small towns, and they are on either side of Elgin, a small city.  Lossiemouth is also a small town, and it is located on the North Sea north of Elgin.

Elgin:  Elgin pronounced El-gn, today is a large city, east of Inverness, near the North Sea in the Highlands of Scotland.  There are many famous landmarks here, including the Elgin Cathedral.  Elgin is surrounded by farm land.  We spent two night at a bed and breakfast in Elgin.  During the day we researched the Sim family at a very good gerontology center that is maintained there.  We also drove all over the area looking at the other three places listed here.  It was July and this was probably the furthest north either of us had ever been, and we were very surprised to find out you could read a newspaper outside at 2 am in the morning, it was so light.

Duffus:  Duffus pronounced Duf-fus is a small town on the west side of Elgin.  There was one church that was built around 1870, and is possibly where James Sim and Mary Kennedy were married.  We also found the remains of two other churches.  Both of these churches had cemeteries, but we could not find any mention of a Sim being buried here.  This was also true of a newer cemetery on the west side of Duffus.  On the outskirts of Duffus, the remains of the Duffus castle remain. 
We did have a nice dinner of typical Scottish food at the Duffus Inn.

Urquhart:  Urquhart is also a very small town.  We just drove around quickly, as we didn't have time to check out any cemeteries.  We were told some of the houses dated back to the 1600s.

Lossiemouth:  This is a very picturesque town on the North Sea.  Many small boats are tied up along the coast and there is a road going along the coast.  Along this road a antique shops and small businesses. 

Clydebank:  The area was originally called "Old Fitzpatrick" and is to the west of Glasgow.  It dates back to Roman rule and parts of the Roman wall have been found here.  It was not a town, but a parish (same as a county).  Its greatest name to fame is that the patron saint of Ireland, St. Patrick, was born here, thus Fitzpatrick.  A couple of years after the opening of the Thomson yard the area began to grow and was then named Clydebank.  The original road through town was first called Dumbarton Road, then Clydebank Terrace, and today is called Glasgow Road. 


Dunbarton Road, Clydebank, in 1904

 

Back to Home Page